UVA Health is offering monoclonal antibody drugs (mAb) for appropriate patients with COVID-19 who are at highest risk for developing severe symptoms and requiring hospitalization. Infusions of the monoclonal antibody drugs from Regeneron and Lilly are available under an emergency-use authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for up to 20 patients per week.
Which COVID Patients Are Eligible?
Patients with COVID-19 may be able to receive the treatment if they have had mild-to-moderate symptoms for fewer than 10 days and are at greater risk for developing more serious symptoms that may require hospitalization. Risk factors include:
- A body mass index (a body-fat measurement based on height and weight) of 35 or higher
- Chronic kidney disease
- Diseases that weaken the body’s immune system, such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis
- Receiving another treatment that weakens the immune system
- Age 65 and older
- Age 55 and older with cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or other chronic respiratory diseases
Patients are not eligible to receive monoclonal antibodies if they:
- Are hospitalized with COVID-19
- Require new oxygen therapy because of COVID-19
- Are already on chronic oxygen therapy for a non-COVID condition and require an increase in oxygen levels because of their COVID symptoms
- Have had COVID-19 symptoms for more than 10 days
How to Refer
To initiate a referral for monoclonal antibody at UVA, call the UVA hospital operator at 434.924.0000 and ask for the COVID-19 provider to be paged at PIC#9007.
This therapy should be administered as soon as possible after a positive test result and within 10 days of symptom onset, so it is recommended that patient referrals are made as soon as possible and no later than 7 days after symptom onset to allow time for infusion center clinician review and scheduling. After approval is obtained, complete this form, and fax to 434.243.9800.
The COVID-19 Clinic infusion team will review the referral form upon receipt and contact the patient to coordinate services as soon as possible.
Patients selected for infusion will receive their monoclonal antibodies during an appointment at the UVA COVID-19 Clinic. Infusion appointments typically take three to four hours. Call the clinic 434.982.6843 with questions.